Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Day 2 - 100 Day Challenge &

As I am typing this I am struggling to keep my eyes open. I am tired....it was a tiring day. My knees are throbbing and my body is bone tired. Being a parent is a challenge and today was one of those days. I have received one too many emails concerning Max and his behavior. I am weary of watching Parker struggle with math night after night. I am proud of him because he is really being diligent about completing assignments and turning them in. He even asked his teacher if he could retake a math test that he didn't do so well on. He did retake it and improved by 10 percent. Its hard to watch him try so hard to get a 78% and then have his brother come home and get a 94% without even breaking a sweat. Life isn't fair sometimes and the Lord knows it. I read my scriptures after the kids were all in bed tonight. I usually try to read them in the morning, but maybe I needed to read them tonight after a day like today. We are on Day 2 of our challenge which was the Brief Explanation and 1 Nephi 1-2. I highlighted 1 Nephi 1:20. It made me think of the times in my life where I have experienced the tender mercies of the Lord. Sometimes it feels as if the world is against me and nothing is going my way, but if I stop for a minute and look over my life I can see the Lord's hand guiding me all the way to where I am today. Elder David A. Bednar said, "The Lord's tender mercies are very personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurances, guidance, loving-kindness, consolation, support, and spiritual gifts which we receive from and because of and through the Lord Jesus Christ....The Lord's tender mercies do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence. Faithfulness, obedience, and humility invite tender mercies into our lives, and it is often the Lord's timing that enables us to recognize and treasure these important blessings." Most of the Lord's tender mercies in my life have been people that I feel the Lord has placed in my life for a specific purpose or callings that I have served in. My parents, Belinda Kuck, Bonnie Marcum, Rebecca Carter, Tammy Watts, Debbie Stevensen, Kathleen Parke, Camie Anderson, my husband, camp director at 20 years old, gospel doctrine teacher at 23 years old, primary second counselor in an amazing Primary presidency, and my children are some of the Lord's tender mercies for me. I have learned so many wonderful things from the people named here and I know that the Lord wanted me to learn something specific from each one of them at a specific time in my life. I also know that I was called to the callings mentioned above for specific purposes that I didn't understand at the time. I am so grateful to know that Lord has been with me every step that I have taken to get where I am today. I am grateful for the Lord's tender mercies in my life. I am excited that everyone in our family has taken the 100 Day Challenge seriously and I am thrilled to see my children reading their scriptures with a purpose and excitement. Sorry if this has gotten to be a bit personal and journal like, but that is why I blog.

4 comments:

aLi said...

Jamie, I love it. Inspiring words. Tender mercies are all around us, as long as we can recognize them!!! Love ya Jamie.

Bonnie said...

Jamie, I love reading your blog because you inspire me! You're a tender mercy in my life and I'm so grateful for you and for the opportunity I have to glean from your strength. Thank you! Love you girl!

Josh said...

I noticed one blaring discrepancy in your post...you forgot ME!! lol. You are one awesome sister, mother, woman and daughter of our heavenly father. Thanks for always forging the path for me to follow. My life so much better, easier and sweeter having you as an older sister. Love ya tons!

Cindy said...

Well Jamie you are right, I can't quit crying. You three kids are all so awesome. Mothers wait for the day when their children do actualy love and care for one another without the proding of their mother. I am so blessed to have you all in my life and to have you care and support each other is truly my greatest joy.