Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Book of Mormon - 100 Day Challenge



Last night during Family Home Evening I challenged our family to read the Book of Mormon in 100 days. I have felt urged by the spirit that I need to teach my children the importance of regular scripture study. I want my kids to know what a marvelous treasure they have available to them at all times. I have found peace, comfort, joy, and inspiration as I have made studying the scriptures a part of my everyday life. I am nervous about this challenge. Parker, Carson, and Ashleigh all committed to the challenge and I know that if they really follow through that marvelous things can happen in our family. As a parent I want to force them to do this, but I know that this will make a greater impact if it is something that they choose for themselves.

President Hinkley promised that if we will read the Book of Mormon daily "that there will come into your lives and into your homes an added measure of the Spirit of the Lord, a strengthened resolution to walk in obedience to his commandments, and a stronger testimony of the living reality of the Son of God. If you want to join in on our 100 day challenge I am going to post daily what we should be reading. Today we are reading the Preface (Title Page), Introduction, Testimony of Three Witnesses, Testimony of Eight Witnesses, Testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith. Mark the quote from Joseph Smith in the the Introduction, "I told the bretheren....any other book." President Hinkley also said, "I would like to urge everyone to again read the Book of Mormon...There is nothing we could do of greater importance than to have fortified in our individual lives an unshakable conviction that Jesus is the Christ, the Living Son of the Living God. And, my brothers and sisters, that is the purpose of the coming forth of this remarkable and wonderful book. I know that the Book of Mormon is true. I felt of its truthfulness today as I read Testimony of Joseph Smith. I am so grateful for Joseph Smith and the many sacrifices he made to translate this important book of scripture. I know that our lives can change and we can become better people as we read from its' pages. I started this blog as a way to journal, scrapbook, and record the every day events of our family and I hope over the next 100 days that I will be able to record great growth amongst the Stromberg family members.

No comments: